Platinum Seal Logo

Making A Claim - Leisure Park Home Owners

What is Platinum Seal?

Platinum Seal is a warranty and insurance cover for newly manufactured Park and Leisure homes. It is therefore important that you check your warranty documentation, which you should have received from your park operator upon the purchase of your Park or Leisure Home.

The Platinum Seal warranty and insurance cover is divided into two main parts:

  • Cover during the first two years (from the date shown on the Ten Year Platinum Seal Warranty Agreement and Insurance Certificate)
  • Cover during years three two ten.

The steps you should take vary depending on how long the cover has been in operation. It is important to check for the number of your insurance policy and the commencement date of the cover. This information is shown on your Insurance Certificate.

Cover during the first two years

If you discover any defects or damage in the first two years from the date of your Insurance Certificate, you must report these to the manufacturer. The manufacturer must put right any defect or damage to your home, within a reasonable time scale. If the manufacturer is notified of defects or damage within this period of cover, they remain responsible to put the problem right, even after this period of cover has expired.

If after notifying the manufacturer of the problem you've received no response, please contact us and we will write to them on your behalf. You should ensure that you keep a record of reporting the problem to the manufacturer, such as copies of letters and details of any telephone calls.

Please remember that the manufacturer is not responsible for items such as normal shrinkage or normal condensation due to the property 'drying out', general wear and tear or damage arising from failure to maintain the property.

Cover during years three to ten

During years three to ten, Platinum Seal provides direct insurance cover, and you should contact us, rather than the manufacturer, if you need to make a claim.

Generally, the insurance cover we provide will depend on the type of policy you have. It is therefore important that you read your own documents for specific information.  For further assistance, please do not hesitate in contacting us.

Do I have a Platinum Seal warranty?

If you are not sure if your property is covered by a Platinum Seal warranty, please email us at with your full name, address, postcode and a daytime telephone number, make and model of your home and the Serial Order Number of your home and we will let you know.

How do I get a duplicate policy document?

You should have received your Platinum Seal policy documents from Assist Insurance Company Ltd after you completed the purchase of the home from your Park Operator.

To obtain duplicate policy documents*, or if you have not yet received your policy documents, please contact Park Home Assist Insurance Services ( quoting your name, address, postcode, make and model of your park or leisure home and the Serial Order Number of your home and the Platinum Seal policy number if available.

* Please note that there will be a charge for providing duplicate documents.

My property is less than two years old. What should I do if I discover a defect or damage?

In the first two years after completion of the property, it is usually the manufacturers liability to rectify structural defects or damage.

In the first instance you should notify your manufacturer of any defects or damage. There is no need to notify us, however you should keep a copy of all correspondence and any other relevant information, such as notes of telephone conversations, and contact us in the event of a dispute.

If a dispute arises regarding work to be done, we usually provide our Resolution Service. This assists in resolving straightforward disputes between park home owners and manufacturers.

What is the manufacturer liable for?

  • The manufacturer should put right, within a reasonable time and at their own expense, any defect or damage caused by a failure to build to our technical Standards which is notified to them within this period of the cover.
  • If you have to move out of the home so that work can be done, the manufacturer should meet any reasonable costs you incur, by prior agreement with the manufacturer, for removal, storage and appropriate alternative accommodation.
  • If the manufacturer has been notified of a defect or damage during this period of cover, then they remain liable to put it right even after this period has expired.

What is the manufacturer not liable for?

  • Wear and tear or deterioration caused by neglect or failure to carry out maintenance;
  • Any non-structural defect after 12 months of first occupation;
  • Any defect to boilers, central heating systems or appliances with moving parts after 12 months of first occupation;
  • Any defect or damage to the base or skirt of the Park/Leisure Home;
  • Dampness, condensation or shrinkage not caused by a defect;
  • Anything excluded by an endorsement on the Insurance Certificate;
  • Anything caused by alterations or extensions to your home;
  • Anything resulting from compliance with written instructions given by or on behalf of the first owner in respect of design, materials or workmanship;
  • Any cost or expense greater than that necessary to carry out a workmanlike repair of the defect or damage;
  • Any items falling outside the definition of a park home (as defined in your policy document);
  • If you are not the first owner, anything which you knew about when you acquired the home and which resulted in a reduction in the purchase price you paid or which was taken into account in any other arrangement.

My property is more than two years old. What does my policy cover?

During years three to ten after completion, the insurer handles insurance claims under the Platinum Seal (our warranty and insurance).

The following gives guidance on some common queries, however, the cover provided may vary depending upon the age of your property. Please read your Platinum Seal documents for precise details of the cover on your home.

In general this part of the cover insures against damage which has resulted from manufacturing defects in the structural and weatherproofing parts of the home. The cost of the work must exceed a minimum sum for the claim to be valid. Not all types of damage or parts of the property are covered in years three to ten.

The following table gives some examples of problems and whether these may be covered.

Does my policy cover...

Cracking to walls Cracking to walls which impairs the structural stability or water-tightness of the home, and is caused by a defect, is covered (subject to exceeding the minimum claim value).
Cracking which is cosmetic, or is caused by shrinkage, thermal movement or movement between different types of materials, is not covered.
Damp Damp or water-penetration caused by a defect in the structure of the home is covered (subject to exceeding the minimum claim value).
Damp caused by condensation is not covered (see Condensation below).
Roof Damage to the roof covering or the structural elements of the roof, which is caused by a defect, is covered (subject to exceeding the minimum claim value).
Damage caused solely by storm-force weather conditions is not covered (see Storm damage below).
Windows and doors Failure of double or triple-glazed units causing condensation between the panes is covered (subject to exceeding the minimum claim value).
Problems with the frames, handles or locks are not covered.
Floors Noisy/creaking floors (where there is no other damage) are not covered.
Flues and chimneys These are covered if there is defect causing an imminent danger to the physical health and safety of anyone normally living in the home.
Condensation Condensation and damage caused by condensation are not covered.
Storm damage Damage caused by storm-force weather conditions is not covered.
Damage as a result of a defect, which first becomes apparent during storm conditions may be covered, however you should contact your household insurer in the first instance.
Plumbing and central heating Problems with the plumbing or central heating system are not covered during years three to ten of the policy.
Leaking shower or bath A leaking bath or shower is not covered during years three to ten of the policy.
Electrical system and appliances Problems with the electrical system or appliances are not covered during years two to ten of the policy.
Cavity wall insulation Problems with, or the absence of, cavity wall insulation is not covered during years two to ten of the policy.
Wall or floor tiles Problems with the fixing of wall or floor tiles, or grouting, are not covered in years two to ten of the policy. However, if there is an underlying defect in the wall or floor that is causing cracking to the tiles then this may be covered.
Paths or driveways Damage to, or defects in, paths and driveways are not covered by this policy.
Guttering Damage to, or defects in, the guttering or downpipes are not covered during years two to ten of the policy.
Birds or animals entering the roof space Problems with birds or animals gaining entry to the roof space or loft are not covered during years two to ten of the policy (unless as a result of damage caused by a defect that would otherwise be covered).
Compensation The policy generally provides cover against the cost of putting right actual physical damage caused by a defect in a specified part of the home. There is no cover for any compensation in respect of any reduction in value or loss of value of the home, or loss of enjoyment, use, income or business opportunity, inconvenience, distress or other consequential loss.
Completed repairs If you have already paid to have repairs carried out, we will not normally be able to reimburse you the costs. You must give us the opportunity to inspect your home before any work is done.

If, after having read these notes, you believe that you may have a claim, please register the details by completing a claims form.

How do I make a claim and what happens next?

If you think you may have a claim, the simplest way to register this with us is by completing a claims form and sending it to us.

If you have a dispute with your manufacturer over items reported to them in the first two years, we will then provide you with information on how we can help you resolve the dispute.

Normally, in the first instance we will write to the manufacturer and request that, within a set time-scale, they either complete any outstanding works or advise us if there is a dispute over the works that are required.

If there is a dispute over the works required, we will usually then arrange for a Claims Investigator to visit your property and meet with you and the manufacturer to try to resolve the dispute. If agreement cannot be reached, then the Investigator will recommend what action, if any, we require of the manufacturer.

We will issue a report which, if appropriate, will require the manufacturer to carry out work or actions within a set time-scale. If the manufacturer fails to carry out our recommendations, despite being given reasonable access, then we will take further steps to ensure that they are implemented.

If you are reporting an insurance claim in years three to ten, we will advise you whether we consider that you may have a valid claim, and if so, we will normally then arrange for a claims investigator to visit your property Following the investigation, we will inform you whether your claim is valid. For valid claims, we will normally place a works order with a contractor to carry out repairs.

What is the minimum claim value?

Depending on the policy you have, the cover provided in years three to ten of your policy may be subject to the cost of the claim exceeding a minimum amount. Unlike a normal insurance policy excess, if the cost of the claim exceeds this amount we will meet the full cost of the work required.

This amount will be shown in your Platinum Seal policy document, and will normally increase each year in line with inflation.